Friday, February 22, 2008

Pocasts

I tried Podcast.net first, but it seemed busy as my browser was unable to connect after a couple tries. Next I went to Podcastalley and looked around. Searched "libraries" and a number of records came up. However, it seemed I would need to download some more software to listen, so I got cold feet. Tried Yahoo Podcasts and it was so much easier to use! With just Windows mediaplayer that I have installed, I was able to listen to a free minute of Johnny Cash, which was featured on the home page, and then searched "libraries" and chose an NPR program "Libraries Become Temporary Refuge for Homeless." NPR programs were free, and they are always good content. (Podcastalley had a lot of catchy library phrases, and nothing against everyone being a star, but I did not want to spend time sifting through a lot of productions that may or may not be worthwhile). It was also extremely easy to add the RSS NPR feed to my bloglines. And instantly, NPR: the Opinion Page appeared. I like easy--no fuss, no installations, no passwords and logins. Someday (soon) when my ever more decrepit portable cd player plays its last Mozart, I too will have an iPod or more covetously, an iPhone, and will definitely be more into iTunes and other subscription media downloads.

No comments: